Friday, March 30, 2007

Friday March 30th

RELAY FOR LIFE BABY!!

Okay if you haven't guessed, I have a new found "project" for the next few months. I went to a community cancer meeting last night and heard all about Relay for Life. Loveland is having their relay for life June 9th and 10th. My friends Amanda and Emmy Anderson told me all about this event. Amanda's husband and Emmy's brother had cancer a few years ago and they have been passionate about the relay ever since. Emmy even started working for the American Cancer Society doing patient navigation at Boulder Community Hospital. She was a great resource of information to me when I was first diagnosed. For those of you that haven't heard of relay their website says it best "At events in 4,800 communities nationwide, teams of families, friends and coworkers join together to CELEBRATE the lives of those who have battled cancer, REMEMBER those lost and FIGHT BACK against a disease that takes too much." It goes on to say "Every dollar you raise makes a difference to people in your community whose lives are touched by cancer. The Society has contributed to almost every major discovery in cancer research. Millions of lives have been saved as a result, including people you may know. For those people and countless others, the research the Society has funded is resulting in better ways to prevent, detect, and treat cancer.
The American Cancer Society will also continue to exert influence on all levels of government, advocating for stronger policies and enacting legislation that will save lives and conquer cancer." This not only supports breast cancer but ALL types of cancer research. You couldn't ask for a better cause to support.
Amanda told me that the Loveland race will start at 1pm and and go until 8am on Sunday morning. The idea is that cancer never stops and neither will we until we find a cure. Someone from your team must be walking the track at all times. She said that during the day they will have bounce houses and face painting to get the families with small children more involved which is perfect for our family. I am so excited to have not only be participating in relay for the first time this year but to have also formed a team. My team name is "We Cancer-vive" I will put a link on the side bar of my blog to find out more about the relay for life in general. I would love to have anyone join my team and come support not only me but the thousands of people that are affected and touched by cancer. I am hoping to get friends, family, co workers, my other cancer and chemo buddies and whoever else is interested to sign up to be on my team. If you can't stay for the whole relay even just a little bit of your time would be awesome. I know lots of you that read my blog aren't from the area either. Guess what?? You can still help me out by sponsoring me. CLICK HERE This is the main page for the loveland relay for life. On the side bar you can either click "sign up" or "sponsor a participant". To sponsor me you will have to enter my name Eliza Brock. Or to sign up for the team we are team "We Cancer-vive". It costs $10 a person to be on the team and if you are a survivor it is free. You can also personally make a donation in your name if you are a survivor like I did. I hope that everyone will be able to participate by either being on the team or sponsoring me. That is a darn long time to be walking so I hope that I get alot of supporters and sponsors. Expect me to bug everyone about this until it is over :-) I am truly excited to be doing this for my community and to fight cancer!!

No comments: