Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Buddy Check 9 Day!

Hola!!! I did it and remembered buddy check 9 on the correct date! So, I thought that I would share the official "buddy check 9" email from the news anchor Kim Christensen that I received today:

Hello Everyone

Thank you, thank you, thank you for making this year’s Race for the Cure another smashing success! Once again, we turned the city pink with tens of thousands of people walking and running for a cure for breast cancer. Hundreds of breast cancer survivors joined the closing ceremony, giving all of us new energy for this cause and most importantly, hope. On Buddy Check 9 day we ask you to do a breast self exam and share that message with someone in your life, with the hope that any possible breast cancer be caught at an early stage, making it survivable.

Breast cancer is not selective. It chooses the young and the old, the rich and the poor, women and men. For more proof of that, I’m enclosing a message from a co-survivor named Dana. I hope you read it and remember breast cancer is everyone’s disease.

Dana writes,

My father, Henry Ross was diagnosed with breast cancer back in 1993 at the age of 55. He had a lump for quite sometime, however, it never crossed is mind or anyone else’s that it could be breast cancer. My mother was finally adamant that he be checked by his family doctor and was immediately sent for a biopsy which proved to be malignant breast cancer. At that time there wasn’t a lot of history at all on men getting breast cancer so by the suggestion of the doctor he did have a mastectomy and underwent several treatments of radiation. His sister Margaret Osborne also was diagnosed with the disease when she was 31 years of age and also underwent treatment which was more aggressive because it was in her lymph nodes.

We as a family have participated in the race for the cure every year because we believe there is hope in the future to find a cure. My father always wanted to go down and wear his pink hat and shirt and create awareness. It is rare that you would see a brother and a sister fighting breast cancer, but they always had hope of survival and fought to the very end. Margaret was a 22 year survivor and my father was a 12 year survivor but if it were not for all the research and awareness we wouldn’t have had them that long. It seemed like every time the doctor said it was their last hope for a treatment to work they would come up with something else thanks to the Susan Komen Foundation that donates so much money into research and treatment.

I know if my father were still here he would continue his fight and create that awareness to everyone that “yes men can get breast cancer too.” Unfortunately my father did pass away at the age of 67 and his sister seventeen months later at the age of 53, but they didn’t ever give up the hope!


Until next month,
Kim Christiansen


I watched this show on discovery last night about cancer. I can't remember for sure but I think it was called something like crazy sexy cancer? It was a documentary about a young girl that had a type of cancer that was not curable and her struggle with keeping it under control. She tried all sorts of diets and ended up doing one where she drank wheat grass a lot. I was laughing inside, since that is one thing my mom helped me do during treatment and have a healthy diet. They looked at her blood before and after and it really improved things. There is something to be said for that crazy wheat grass. Ha!

No comments: