Sunday, January 03, 2010

Christmas break

Jon had this last week off and kept very busy at home. Back in October Jon surprised me and painted the kitchen one day when I was with Olivia at a cheer competition. We have been wanting to paint and add color to the house for awhile but couldn't come up with colors we wanted. Here is what we ended up with after that day.

A rust orange in the center and yellow around the kitchen and dining room. The colors did look good together in the magazine he had seen them in but neither of us really liked them after they were on our walls. A few weeks ago I had been at my sister's baby shower and the hostess had her home painted in a maroon and an olive color that I loved. She gave me the color numbers and Jon spent all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday painting the entire upstairs. He painted the tan color we have on the walls downstairs on the other walls and the ceiling since we haven't painted those walls since we moved in. It was a ton of work but I love it now. Here is what we have now.



It was dark outside when I took these pictures so the room looks really dark now but it isn't as dramatic during the day. I had all sorts of red in the room before so it looks really empty. I have to go and get some new stuff to decorate the rooms now. This huge black vase is something new I picked up this weekend. I think it looks really cool. Jon did a great job, huh?


Especially considering that I got the flu on Monday and Olivia got it Monday night. It wiped both of us out for the entire first part of the week. Being sick at the same time as your kiddos is no fun. I am glad it didn't last any longer than a couple of days.
Jon and I had some friends over on New Year's Eve. We played Rock Band and Band Hero. The kids really love playing the game. They are total rock stars!! Here they are practicing the night before.


After a long week we decided to take the kids to Denver for the night on Friday with our friends Desi and Aislinn. We took the kids to see Alvin and The Chipmunks 2 which we both hated, but the kids loved. Then we went to eat at the Old Spaghetti Factory. That was a fun atmosphere and the kids had a blast with the balloon artist that was there.

The kids all loved the trolley car in the middle of the restaurant and food was really good.
After dinner we walked down the 16th street mall back to our car and the enjoyed some of the Christmas lights that are still up in the city.The hotel we stayed in had a junior sized Olympic pool so the kids loved having a big area to swim and play in and were swimming until 10:30 at night. They had a blast. Thanks for the fun times Valdez family! I suppose it is now back to reality tomorrow and time for Jon and I to start back to work. The kids don't go back until Wednesday so then next couple of days will be busy for me with work and kiddos!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I live the way your paint turned out!!! The green looks awesome in your nook and the red in the kitchen is amazing!!!! Are you happy with it?

Eliza Brock said...

I am really happy with it!! Now to get some stuff hung on the walls...

Toni said...

Jon is a saint for painting your house twice! Glad you like it. That's always the worst after you paint it and have to do it all over again.

Olivia looks gorgeous in that picture, and I love Cody's beaver smile. What a goof! Jack sure loved playing with him. I think he misses his playmate.